Wednesday, May 27, 2009

It must be me....

My sweet husband bought me a Zojirushi Bread Machine for Christmas. I'd been wanting one for awhile, and the Commissary had them for $180 (they retail for $215).

But for the life of me, I seriously cannot get a consistently good loaf from it.

I've concluded that it is not manufacturer error or bad ingredients or anything like that.

It is user incompetence. I think I am just not cut out for a bread machine. From what I've read, each ingredient has to be "just-so" in order for the bread to turn out right...and I've tried being better, I really have. I spooned the flour (instead of scooping - that is very bad, so I've read). I carefully measured the liquids, even adding 2T because the Zoji is notorious for needing just a bit more liquid. I bought dough enhancer, vital wheat gluten.

The only thing I can get to turn out well is pizza dough.

So, I decided to try my hand (again) at making my own bread, and, well. See for yourself.


(This is Lindsay's recipe from Passionate Homemaking. I successfully halved it to make 2 loaves, froze one and we are eating the other.) It worked for me!

What to do with the bread machine is my next dilemma. I'd like to sell it so I can fund one of these.


Had some help in the kitchen :) (Granted, his "helping" wasn't all that helpful, but he sure had fun making bubbles!)


And since Mama was so happy to have finally created some beautiful loaves of bread, we celebrated with our favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe (altered with 1/2 whole wheat pastry flour and coconut oil to make them more healthy - at least, it makes me feel less guilty to eat them LOL!)
[prepare to drool]

3 comments:

Courtney said...

i do my cookies the same way :) they are kind of good right

i want a bread machine cause i stink at making my own bread. maybe i need to just work on making my own and save the money, didn't realize it was so temperamental, good to know!

Melonie said...

Years ago I had a bread machine and I didn't have too many problems with it - but it wasn't this brand. I wish I had some suggestions for you but it's been so long since I had mine. The one thing my manual said was to always put the ingredients in the tin in a certain order, and to make a little well at the top of the dry stuff for the yeast, so it sat there dry until it was actually mixed in. But your manual probably already taught you the same thing....so I doubt that was much help on my part. LOL

Lisa said...

Good to see I am not the only one with nasty homemade bread! I don't have a bread machine but I am sure my loaves would turn out just as bad with that too. Check out my banana bread disaster I just posted about!