Saturday, March 7, 2009

More Grace

Have you ever looked ahead at some bend-in-the-road (another child, a move, a difficult situation) and thought, "There's no way I can handle that."

I thought that about having child #1. I thought it about the 10 weeks my husband was gone for OCS. And whenever I imagined having two children under 2yrs, I wondered how I was going to do it.

Well, I'm here to testify that "He giveth more grace", as the old hymn says. Those things I thought impossibly challenging just a few months ago have proved to be not-only not impossible, but DO-able. Why? Because they had to be done, and I was the one to do them.

For a Momma, there is no "get free" card (i.e. Monopoly). There is no "free pass" on certain chores or duties. Many times, there is literally no one else who can accomplish a task besides you. (Not to digress, but there is no one else who gets the joys of Motherhood like you, either :)

But as I peacefully got one boy ready for bed while the other lay on the floor rolling around, then nursed boy #1 while singing lullabies to keep them both calm...all the while thinking ahead to what I needed to do in the kitchen for tomorrow's meals...I realized that God's given me the grace I needed to accomplish what He's called me to do. Something I could have never imagined "handling" has become routine.

Recently, a single woman, my age, commented (as she witnessed boy #1 running around the room while I bounced boy #2 to keep him happy) - "I don't know how you do it". And the only thing I could tell her is that God gives us grace for right where we are at. My situation is hardly difficult. However, four months ago, I felt fearful of what lay ahead...and whether I could "handle it".

Well, while the challenges ahead of us may seem awfully big, it's comforting to rest in the greatness of God and His perfect plan for us.

He giveth more grace
when the burdens grow greater;
He sendeth more strength,
when the labors increase....

His grace has no measure...

2 comments:

Laura said...

Amen, sister (in-law!). :) I'm really thankful that He gives me grace even when I forget to ask Him for it, which happens more often than I care to admit.

IF said...

This is sooo true! He provides us with so much grace and love!! He strengthens me. I can always manage to get up that 5th time at night or whatever the case may be and sometimes I wonder where the engery comes from! I know the Lord is holding me up... Mommies don't get sick days or time off! 5 years ago, I never understood what hard work was. I thought I did. What is so amazing is all of the hard work pays off! We get 'raises and bonuses and praise' every single day!