Saturday, February 7, 2009

Sickness is a reminder...


....that we are needy.
Psalm 70:5
But as for me, I am poor and needy;
please hurry to my aid, O God.
You are my helper and my savior;
O Lord, do not delay.


....that we aren't self-sufficient (as I tend to behave, often!)
2 Corinthians 3:5:
Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God


....that health and life come from God.
Psalm 3:5
I lay down and slept; I woke again, for the LORD sustained me.


....that I want to increase our eating of whole-foods, fresh foods, grass-fed beef. Anytime we are sick I am reminded that healthful eating is the essence of healthful living. Sickness is part of life on a fallen planet. But it only makes sense that to be healthy, we need to seek out the most healthful choices for our sustenance. Here are a few things I'm looking into:
Joining a co-op for grains/bulk natural foods, looking at the Bread Beckers group

Incorporating a weekly or bi-weekly visit to a local farmer's market for fresh produce

Locating a source for grass-fed beef

Creating ways to save on other groceries and be creative in meal-planning in order to afford these changes in our grocery budget


I'd love to hear how you make healthier eating part of your life!

And for more thoughts on living simply, visit Keeper of the Home.

3 comments:

Melonie said...

Hi Amanda!

Just wanted to thank you for your kind comment on my blog - welcome to the military family! I read back through your archives a bit, am I reading this right that you've been in less than a year now? Email me at ravenwrites74@yahoo.com if you'd like to connect or if you have any questions about military spouse life/military resources. I hope to be of service somehow.

Hope you're all feeling fantastic this week. Sick time is no fun, especially with the little guys. :-(

Amanda said...

Hi Amanda, this is Amanda! LOL

Good for you for such healthful living and eating! My sister has switched her family to that kind of diet and has been urging me also.

Take care!

Anonymous said...

What wonderful reminders... thank you! And thanks for joining in Living Simply Saturdays! It's always nice to see a new face (I apologize if you've joined in before this week, but I may have missed it over the past couple of months).
Blessings!