Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Graeme's Eating Habits...

...are definitely expanding!

Last night - bean and cheese quesidilla with grated carrots snuck in ;)

Today's meals:
Breakfast - banana/blueberry muffin, some of my berry "Go-Mega" smoothie - Odwalla
Lunch - a *bunch* of blueberries, again, obviously a fave! Tried the PB&J - didn't go over so big today. Cubes of cheese.
Snack - half a banana
Snack #2 - half an orange (yes, a whole half an orange all on his own!)
Dinner - 5-6 raspberries (he seems to really like these!), potato with cheese, a few bits of apricot, and tried to get him to eat a bit of broccoli with the potato - he's too smart for that LOL!
Yogurt & multi-grain cereal mixed in.

So the continued quest is to get veggies in there. Part of it is that his eating reflects my habits - but I mean, he can't yet eat a raw carrot, and doesn't seem to care for things like corn with butter or green beans....it's kinda tough.

I just got this book from the library: "The Sneaky Chef: Simple Strategies for Hiding Healthy Foods in Kids' Favorite Meals"
There are some really creative ideas that I would *never* think of on my own for getting veggies in foods that kids won't even notice. She has a whole list of "juices" made out of spinach, carrots, and all kinds of veggies/fruits that you put in things like cupcakes, milkshakes, even mixed in muffins! And 1 Tab. of the spinach juice equals 1/4 cup of raw spinach. I will not be forever-masking vegetables for my children, but on the other hand, you can't literally force a 1 year old to eat what he just won't eat. So I think incorporating some of these strategies will help get more nutrients in his food, and hopefully I can continue to work on gradually making vegetables more appealing/getting him used to the taste.

2 comments:

IF said...

That is so cool about the spinach juice... The only way I can buy spinach here is frozen and it is ground. Do you think I could make juice from that???

Amanda said...

Yes, actually, the book recommends that if you don't want to go through the pain of boiling the spinach to kill possible bad stuff...so, yes, that should work fine! I'll get more specific directions and post them so you can try it :-)