To make the purees:
- Carrot: steam carrots until soft. Puree in a blender or food processor until smooth and creamy. Add water if needed. Can freeze in 1/2 cup portions - and this is an easy add-to-pancakes or french toast for an extra boost of nutrition.
- Spinach: steam spinach until wilted, only about 1-2minutes. Puree in blender/food processor until smooth and creamy. I like adding this to scrambled eggs or things like meatloaf or meatballs.
- 3 oz. semisweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup carrot puree
- 1/2 cup spinach puree
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 T butter or margarine
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup oat flour, or all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat an 8x8 baking pan with cooking spray (or I used my Pampered Chef medium stonewear pan)
- Melt the chocolate in a double broiler or over a very low flame (I put a small pyrex glass dish over simmering water in my saucepan on the stove - it works perfect)
- In a large bowl, combine the melted chocolate, purees, sugar, cocoa, butter and vanilla and whisk until smooth and creamy, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Whisk in egg whites. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt with a wooden spoon
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake 35-40 minutes (don't over-cook!). Cool completely in the pan before cutting into 12 bars. *It's important to let them cool before eating, it's not until they're completely cool that the spinach flavor totally disappears*.